Foundations: A Conversation with Carlos Santana, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, and Paul Reed Smith

A New Video from PRS Guitars

October 31, 2012
Warren Haynes, Carlos Santana, Paul Reed Smith and Derek Trucks

If you could listen in on a conversation between Carlos Santana, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, and Paul Reed Smith, what do you think you might learn? While Santana and the Allman Brothers were on a recent tour, Paul Reed Smith sat down with this group of highly-respected guitarists to have a casual conversation about tone, finding your voice, and being a musician.

Follow the conversation as these three world-renowned musicians discuss their musical roots and how their individuality and tone developed with Paul.  The candid conversation covers many topics, but all are of interest to any musician who is serious about their art and finding or refining their own musical “voice.”

Comments (17)
craigwonderfingers October 31, 2012 - 5:14pm

They had it right—vox humana—Woman Tone.

Clapton invented it in 1967.

Gary Norris October 31, 2012 - 5:52pm

I first want to thank all of you for what you do. I have listened to carlos for many years warren,derek. Have also inspired me. I have always noticed prs guitars in the past but i could never aford to buy one. Probably 5 or 6 yrs ago now i went to my first Experience Prs after hearing paul talk about his guitars and feeling the passion he had for guitars something changed in me. I now will only play prs guitars.  And watching this video towards the end of it i got chills the hair stood up on my arms and my eyes welled up a bit. Music is in our hearts and souls and prs guitars can bring them out. Thank you all for this video and what you do. Peace and love
Gary Norris

Russelltouesnard October 31, 2012 - 6:15pm

Truly injoying My prs single cut guitar , Having lots of fun Thank all of your team for me, keep up the great work Russ

Zososhep October 31, 2012 - 8:27pm

That was simply awesome! Three great musicians with the finest guitar builder on the planet.I have been playing PRS guitars for 20 years, they are simply put the absolute finest made instruments I have come across in my life time!
Peace to all.

Mark Holmstrand November 01, 2012 - 1:36am

Oh my.  This is such a wonderful conversation between four great men of our time.  Thank-you so much for sharing this video.  Wow!

James Murff November 01, 2012 - 5:36pm

To be close enough to feel the vibe of this great string throughout the Universe, I believe that is what all of us try to achieve when we play. I have never been able to afford a PRS, but I look at each one, with an awe, and listen to the players who use these great instruments with great respect. I just recently lost my job, so I am back to square one. if it weren’t for these guys and my own guitars deppression could have grabbed hold, but I ain’t gonna let it get me down. Thank you Mr. Smith for making such beautiful works of art.

Jim Anderson November 07, 2012 - 12:03pm

I would like to view the video, but it must be in a format that my computer can’t render; which is strange because I have viewed many other videoes from your news letter. It may be due to the fact that I am not on Facebook or Twitter. Is there another site or link to the video that might work for me? I don’t own a PRS guitar but I am fascinated by your production methods and the workmanship that goes into a PRS guitar. Thanks for keeping me on your e-mail list all these years.
Best reguards,
Jim Anderson
Sunnyvale, CA

PRS Guitars November 07, 2012 - 1:42pm

Hey Jim, here’s a direct link to the video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-ZoPlq_PrA

roseland67 December 02, 2012 - 11:12pm

Marvelous players, currently cover all of them in various bands, (really like WH, mercy, what a player).
Have a McCarty Hollowbody II and am looking for a Swamp Ash Special.
Think I’m gonna try the 16 watt combo also, (can’t lift my Marshall anymore).
Keep up the great work

Vilsen December 04, 2012 - 10:29pm

I like the Acoustic Idea and I have a song I am going to try it on. Thanks Graham.I had a similar polrbem with a lead guitar this week.  I had recorded the lead with a SM57 OFF AXIS and it sounded good in the mix, but at the end of the song it needed to cut thru just a little more. What I did was Re-Amped the same lead part to the same Amp but set the SM57 ON AXIS. I blended the two and it sounds amazing!

Sheree December 05, 2012 - 1:28pm

It depends   are you going to use it mailny plugged in or acoustic? If you already have a good acoustic then it’s plugged in sound is the most important, right?  Takamine makes some laminate top guitars with their premium pick-up system (Nt4, I think)  they sound weak acoustically but sound perfect plugged in.  If you want the best of both worlds, try the Alvarez Artist Series   you get a choice of body styles and woods and a great pick-up system (Sys 600). You can plug a mic into the system.  Going up the $$$ scale, Taylor’s expression system sounds great, as does the Fishman Aura system that Martin uses on some guitars. I would avoid the standard systems on Epiphones and Ibanez etc   they sound too electric.  Make sure you try them out with the type of amplifier or PA you are going to use   it makes a big difference, some pick-up systems have an exciter to make guitar amps sound more acoustic.In a band situation, mic systems always seem to feed back   I would use one only if you play solo   or maybe a duo with low volume monitors. Good Luck

Jim Davis December 16, 2012 - 10:11pm

Thanks Paul.

randolphr December 17, 2012 - 10:22pm

Big Thanks to All 4 of You !

Jo January 03, 2013 - 9:25am

Well I’ve never heard of any of them apart from CS but I’ve just listened to some of their utube stuff and it didn’t sound that good to me.  They should keep looking for tone as imo they haven’t found it yet.

Jose B Cruz January 14, 2013 - 2:37pm

Jo

To each his own, but you must be Tone Deaf !!!

Dave January 19, 2013 - 12:09am

Absolutely incredible musicians sitting down with someone who puts their passion into every tool that leaves his building!  Thanks for what you do Paul!

Warm regards,
Dave Hamill

Scott Perry January 26, 2013 - 8:19am

Great roundtable discussion! I look forward to, and wish there were more and more of these, because more than not, I learn more about playing the instrument, by hearing greats like these TALK about their approach to playing, than actually listening to them play, or do a clinic. VERY inspiring!!!